Thursday, March 2, 2023

6 - Referencing Film Intros

    As I mentioned last post, I started to observe the film intros that were listed under contemporary fantasy. I chose two, one of which I haven't seen. I also watch them by order of release, so I can ease into how the genre is portrayed throughout the years all the way to the closest modern representation. I've also barely watched Enchanted, but I will remove the context and look at the intro as if it were my first viewing. This way, I can interpret these elements objectively without any bias and see it through the eye of a new viewer. This will not at all be a full on analysis on each clip, since that isn't the point of why I'm doing this. Instead, I'll only point out details and choices that either stood out to me or ones I can potentially reference in the future.

    The first film intro I watched was Mary Poppins (1964). I put two links because the first video is primarily the opening credits and title sequence, while the second video the continuation after the sequence.


    Starting from the title sequence, it starts with an establishing shot of London, putting the landmark as the first thing the viewer sees. It slowly pans around the area while presenting each name. The font isn't uniform and seems as if it barely bends around itself, which fits into the overall tone right off the bat. Even though the city looks gloomy with the cold hues, the light purple clouds add some brightness to the scene. The main part that I accounted for was the cheerful music, since nearly everyone in the comments of the video took it to heart. It starts out slow as there are possibly a few leitmotifs that I didn't quite catch, and then gradually gets more cheerful. Although I haven't seen the movie, I already feel fondness through the intro possibly with my upbringing of old cartoons. The music gets the most cheerful when it removes the text for a bit and focuses on a mid shot of a lady sitting on a cloud.

    The next continued clip after the title sequence introduces the setting, time period, and type of society that occurs. They pair the primary character with others that will bring out his key traits upon first impression, such as his joyful demeanor, musical talent, and most likely low income. At the end, it feels strange for him to directly refer to the viewer, but it may have been a unique choice especially considering the time the film released.

    The next intro I watched was Enchanted (2007). Compared to Mary Poppins, this film is much more recent. It also incorporates elements of animation, which might give me guidance.



    Due to its basic premise, the start with a storybook sets the tone immediately. The art style and fluid animation also resembles Disney's older films. As Disney knows their audience, the viewers would most likely recognize the style and assume it would be similar. The intro also uses classic cliques in order to get across the stereotypical plot, such as an evil character, a prince, and a female main character that talks to animals. I noticed that there were was no credits sequence besides the production company, though it may have come later on. The bright and warm colors used as a palette for the latter half portrays the nature of the characters.

    I can use both of these intros as references for my own, though I would like to have my own take on it. Even if these intros set the basis of what a contemporary fantasy film is like, I would rather do more research on the genre itself. However, this acted as valuable information that I could potentially incorporate or reference for the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

6 - Referencing Film Intros

     As I mentioned last post, I started to observe the film intros that were listed under contemporary fantasy. I chose two, one of which I...